If you have elderly loved ones who live in another state—or even another country—you may be worried about their wellbeing. Even if they’re safely living in an assisted living or retirement community, not having family nearby can be tough. Luckily, there are resources that can help. Here are some tools to help ensure their health and happiness.
Make Sure Their Home is Senior-Friendly
Knowing your loved one is safe and secure is important.
- Have a contractor install features like handrails to make the space safer.
- Moving your loved one to a senior-friendly home with a single level is another option.
- If your elderly loved one can no longer live alone safely, find a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility.
Use Technology to Help With Everyday Challenges
These tech tools can make life easier for the elderly.
- Get them a senior-friendly phone with features like big buttons to stay in touch.
- If they have health issues, invest in a medical alert system for peace of mind.
- Help them organize documents, photos, and more with PDF merging tools. For example, you can use this free tool to quickly combine videos.
Use Third-Party Providers for Additional Support Services
Daily activities may be challenging for elderly persons. These services can help.
- These ridesharing services can help seniors get to doctors’ appointments and more.
- Make sure seniors are getting nutritious food with these meal delivery kits.
- Hire help for strenuous tasks like cleaning the house.
Embrace Innovative Ways to Keep In Contact
Even if seniors are in a care facility, they surely miss their loved ones. Try these tips to maintain contact.
- Use technology like Zoom to watch movies together online.
- Try adapting these long-distance relationship date ideas, like listening to music together or cooking together on FaceTime.
- You can also play games like Uno, Checkers, and Bingo remotely.
It can be frustrating to be far away from a senior loved one. If they’re struggling with everyday tasks, it may be time to to research Assisted Living or Skilled Nursing.
Northfield Retirement Communities offers trustworthy and professional rehabilitation, independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing and other specialty aging services. Call 308.632.4342 for more information.